3/9/11

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies


National Chocolate Chip Cookie Week is upon us. And according to Mr. Man Pants, this ought be a weekly series, rather than a yearly event.
If your views are consonant with his, then you might as well take advantage of the celebration, for May is National Salad Month.
...who called me a Killjoy?


You know, if I weren't afraid of Mrs. Fields declaring me an endangered species, I would probably confess to you that I've never been a huge fan of CC cookies—no matter how awesome—so instead, I'll keep my mouth shut.



Cow extract and chocolate chip cookies go well together, so serve it with a tall glass.

Speaking of milk, did you know it takes 345 squirts from Bessie's udder to make one gallon of milk? I'd be curious to meet the Adonis who gets paid to run these studies.


In any event, here is my family's favorite CC cookie recipe. This is a rich, chewy, full of chocolate chunks cookie, with a generous pinch of Oh.My.God.


Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 dozen cookies.

2½ cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks, or chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line sheet pans with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
On low speed, add the flour mixture, and mix just until blended. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chunks. Drop by tablespoons (I use a small ice cream scoop) onto sheet pans, 2 inches apart. Bake  for 12-15 minutes. Adapted from At Blanchard's Table.

Note: Bake the cookies right after mixing. Do not refrigerate the dough, or cookies will come out poofy and cake-like. And if you're the type who likes that sort of thing, I don't wanna know about it.


Happy CCC Week!